Friday, January 29, 2010

Reaction Time: "Pilot", "Tabula Rasa", "Walkabout", "White Rabbit", "House of the Rising Sun", "The Moth", "Confidence Man"

The last post is only now about 4 minutes old, but I'm ready to get into this.

Not to mention I've had Episode 9 - "Solitary" - on pause for about an hour now, and I would really like to find out more about this Danielle Rousseau person sooner than later. And I have 8 tabs of LOST speculation and interviews open currently, and would really like to close a few of them so it looks like I'm actually working today.

(You can stop laughing at me now. Occasionally it DOES happen.)

I don't really want to go in-depth to episodes I've already watched, because I'm not ready for rewatching. That will slow me down more - this is already using up valuable time.

But to keep in line with this project, here's some thoughts over the first 8 episodes (or 7 if you prefer to think of the Pilot as one really long episode):



PILOT (Parts 1 & 2) - S1E01/02

Claire is adorable. I automatically love Charlie because I love Dominic Monaghan. Does Shannon die later in the series? Can someone kill her now so I don't have to wait? Boone is cuuuute (oh, am I supposed to be judging the series based on the story? Ehh, maybe later when I know more than "oh haay, a plane crashed, wtf?!")
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT MONSTER THAT ATE THE PILOT?! Is Godzilla one of the 1500 characters?? I didn't see him listed in the opening credits.
Ok, Charlie does drugs. That was a given.
Watching this episode after seeing the Season 5 finale gives me a lot of insight that no one else had when the series first began. Seeing Jack describe to Kate about his first solo surgery means a lot more when you know how important a role it plays later in the series.
Oh, and the flashbacks to the plane splitting up - whoa. Way to give me fears for my trip to NYC in two weeks.
A polar bear. Huh. Ok. Please tell me we eventually find out why there's a polar bear on an island.
French transmission...16 years...oh fuck. This spells trouble (for the next 6 years - mwuahaha).
"Guys, where are we?"

That's a good summary, right?


TABULA RASA - S1E03

Poor Hurley does awkward so well around Kate.
I love the dog.
I kind of want to punch Kate for getting Ray hurt. He was a nice old man, even if he did try to trade her in for money. But hey, she lied to him. I give him props.
The drama with the Marshal was intense.
What's the meaning behind the episode title? Not sure if I found that out.
Nice foreshadowing of Locke - I just wish I hadn't know that particular twist. It would've made the next episode much more impactful. You'd think I'd be able to avoid that particular spoiler for 5 years. Thanks a lot people.


WALKABOUT - S1E04

Ok. I went into this episode with a lot of high hopes. I'd been told it was one of the best of the series, because of the twist ending. Even knowing what the twist was, I still loved it. I find Locke endlessly fascinating, for the fact that he's so quiet and seemingly so in-tune with the island. The ending scene where Locke argues to be let on the walkabout was tear-worthy.
Again, it's interesting to watch these episodes having watched the finale of Season 5. I know Rose finds her husband, which makes me wonder how that happens and where he is.


WHITE RABBIT - S1E05

This episode was the first one to really leave me with a lot of questions and confusion. Where is Jack's dad's body?! What's the history there - why did Jack have to track his father down to Australia? Why does Locke seem to have an understanding with the island, and have such faith in it that it will provide Jack with answers?! WHY IS JACK SEEING HIS DEAD DADDY?! So much confusion on this island. Gah.
"I looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was beautiful."
"Live together, die alone."
Aaaand, scene.


HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN - S1E06

Surprisingly, this might be my favorite episode thus far. I loved the insight into Sun and Jin's complicated relationship. All we've seen from them thus far is a quite isolation, so to see their past explains a lot about their interactions on the island.
Charlie and his guitar. Interesting and truly touching moment.
I'm led to believe that "Adam and Eve" is another mystery that fans are still seaking an answer to.
SUN SPEAKS ENGLISH. Another good revelation.


THE MOTH - S1E07

Who knocked out Sayid?! That's what I left this episode with.
Oh, and I liked the moth metaphor. Good job John Locke.


CONFIDENCE MAN - S1E08

Can you tell I'm done writing yet? Fine, last one.
I couldn't watch the torture scene. Audio was perfectly fine for me.
Again, seen the sequence Sawyer described to Kate - when he first wrote the letter to the real Sawyer. Obviously important to the character's story, but again it's interesting to see how the singular event plays a role in the future. Even as a child this impacts the entire storyline of the series.
That was a hot kiss from Kate and Sawyer. Right, not important.


Ok, I'm going back to watching now. Hopefully these blurbs are sufficient enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment